Monday, March 3, 2014

The Weekly Photo/My Birthday!

This is really a rather accurate description of the last few days. We have had a lot of cake. Two birthday parties, free cupcake from the  Sweet Tooth Fairy cupcake shop on Saturday, my aunt made me a delicious birthday cake yesterday and we had even more cake today. I am not complaining. I love good, delicious, homemade cake.

Oh, and it happens to be my birthday today. I am 25. My youngest brother had his birthday yesterday and turned 18. I feel like we both turned important numbers. Twenty-five feels like a proper adult. I am not in my early twenties anymore, which is weird. I have been thinking about being twenty-five and looking back on my quarter century and thinking about what I have learned. So, here are a few things:

1. Life never goes how you expect it to. This is not necessarily a bad thing, just different and sometimes hard. I fully expected to have another baby by now and I have always hoped to have four or five kids. This idea and plan of mine might not ever happen and I have learned so much from this trial. I am grateful, which leads me to number two.

2. I am so blessed (I understand that I really am, and no matter what someone has a much more difficult life than my relatively easy one). I have the best, kindest, hardest working husband. I have a miraculous little girl, who is smart, funny, and beautiful. I have the best parents and siblings. I have wonderful in-laws. Plus, I have so many temporal blessings as well.

3. Just chill. There is no point getting offended. You can always choose how to react and getting offended is always the worst choice.

4. I am needy and I can stand on my own two feet. Does that make sense? I need my Heavenly Father. I need Tyler. I need my Mom and my Dad. I need people to talk to and to understand. But--I am also rather self reliant spiritually and emotionally. This is makes it possible for someone to need me.

5. Being an adult is great. I was often sort of scared sometimes to grow up as a kid, but at the same time really wanted to as well. Everyone feels that way, right? However, let me rephrase, being an adult and a parent is great. Yeah, it was fun being single (wait, have I ever been single in my adulthood?), and it was fun being young and married, but being young, married and a parent is the best thing ever. You get to have the adult stuff and the kid stuff. Magic comes back into your life and home with kids. I just started reading The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe to Elanor and she loves it! She keeps bringing me the book to read more. We read it for an hour and a half this morning!

So, maybe I am still super young and not all that wise (though I have taken those character tests and have gotten Dumbledore, Yoda,  Gandalf and Uncle Iroh--from Avatar--so I am presumably a wise old man), but I have learned things in my twenty-five years and I am grateful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment