Friday, April 13, 2012

In the Kitchen: My Mom's Scones

So maybe I'm on a roll here with my mom's recipes...but hey, she is an amazing cook and I use her recipes all the time! I am so lucky that I grew up with a mom who is an excellent cook/baker and also gave me ample opportunities to help her and use the kitchen. 


These scones are wonderful. Simple, but definitely gets the point across and is a great vehicle for jam (which is how my brother, Erik, uses scones or any form of bread). Scones are also great because they are easy to vary; add chocolate chips, nuts, raisins or whatever you have around. I prefer them plain with butter and jam, with a cup of tea (preferably mint or licorice spice).


Recipe is as follows:

Ingredients:


2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp butter, cold, cut into tbsp size pieces and then in half
2 eggs, well beaten
1/2 cup buttermilk (regular milk works fine too)

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Lightly butter baking sheet.

In a large bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients.

Cut in the butter with fingers or a pastry blender until it resembles coarse meal.

Make a well in middle and pour in the eggs and milk.  Stir until combined. Turn onto a lightly floured board and knead for one minute. I love kneading by the way. You might need more flour if the dough is sticky, mine was when I made it yesterday.

Pat into a disc shape about 3/4 inch thick. Cut into wedges. This recipe makes eight scones. Place on a cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes.


These scones come together really fast, so they are great to make for breakfast. They also go really well with a nice, hearty meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment